Monday, February 29, 2016

An Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Anecdote

In my minuscule hometown of Alma, AR, not two streets away from my house, a home was renovated for Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. Reading the McCarthy piece and the internal memo  pertaining to the types of people the show was looking for (the dramatically downtrodden), I couldn't help but think about the specifics of the family whose house was renovated in my neighborhood. The family, The Nicks, had a daughter kidnapped about 15 years ago and have since started a foundation to find lost children. The level of their tragedy was so profound, it was turned into a 2 hour episode. The episode aired when I was in high school, and as you can imagine, the whole town was abuzz about it. Nice house, too. Here's a link to part of the episode in question (in which you can hear Tye Pennington mispronounce my hometown's name): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to_ryXmcyKI

No comments:

Post a Comment