Tuesday, February 16, 2016

'Miss Representation' & Geena Davis on Sexism in Film & TV

I came across this brief article by Geena Davis (TV Shows and Movies Are Training Us to Be Sexist) and thought I should share it with the rest of the class.

If anyone is interested in the representation of women in film/TV and various other forms of media (and I think most of us are) I wanted to give a shout-out to a wonderful documentary that's available on Netflix - Miss Representation. The film, which also features Davis talking about her organization (The Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media) was instrumental in fortifying my interest in studying the representation of gender, race, and sexuality on-screen, and I think it's an absolute must-see for all.


1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorite documentaries! It's actually one of the reasons I became really interested in studying the representation of women in film and the industry. It opened my eyes to everything I usually overlooked when watching a film or tv show. Her organization posts some really great articles on Facebook about women, race, and gender issues in the industry and world in general.

    ReplyDelete